I love chickpeas and I love curry and I adore Rachael Ray.. so I had to try this Every Day With Rachael Ray recipe.
- 2 tbsp. of extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1 medium chopped onion
- 3 cloves of garlic (Rach’s recipe calls for 1 if I remember correctly.)
- 1 1/2 tsp. freshly ground ginger
- 3/4 pound of ground turkey or chicken
- 2 tbsp. curry powder
- 2 tbsp. coriander
- 1 tbsp. cumin
- 2 1/2 cups of roasted tomatoes (chopped)
- 1 28 oz. can of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup of chicken broth, low sodium
- salt and pepper
- zest of 1/2 lemon
- 1 1/2 cups of plain yogurt, fat-free
- naan bread for serving
Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion, garlic, and ginger and cook until the onion is soft. Move those ingredients to the side of the pan and add the spices and ground meat until the meat is browned. Add your tomatoes, chickpeas, broth, salt, pepper, and lemon zest. Squeeze some lemon juice on top of your ingredients. Simmer on the stove for at least ten more minutes. Before serving, add yogurt and mix everything together until the yogurt is warmed.
Definitely not the prettiest looking meal in the world, but it was delicious and at the end of the day that is all that matters.