This is what happens when the grocery store runs out of canned pumpkin the night before Thanksgiving:
- 3/4 cup dark brown sugar (plus more to top with)
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon (plus more to top with)
- Freshly ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon of pumpkin pie spice (plus more to top with)
- 8 apples–peel, core, slice
- 2 lemons–zested and juiced
- 30 pre-made tart shells (I cheated.)
- Whipped cream or ice cream.
(1) Prepare your apples and then cover in lemon zest and juice.
(2) Mix your sugar, flour, and spices.
(3) Coat and recoat your apples. When they are fully covered, throw them in the fridge, covered, overnight.
(4) Wake up in the morning, preheat the oven to 375, throw the apple mixture into pre-made tart shells.
(5) Sprinkle a mixture of extra brown sugar, cinnamon, and pumpkin pie spice on top.
(6) Bake for 10-15 minutes, checking often.
(7) Enjoy the smell of Fall in your apartment.
I plan on reheating these while we eat dinner and then topping with a dab of whipped cream. Make sure to buy a good apple peeler. Mine broke during the process. How I will peel 9 sweet potatoes for “Butter Pecan Sweet Potatoes” later? I do not know.